Does painting automobile doors, quarter panel jambs, and fenders often result in hard paint lines requiring rework? You can get rid of the need for rework that results from such poor paint transitions by using 3M Smooth Transition Tape. This Smooth Transition Tape creates smooth paint and coating transition and helps in masking jambs, outside body lines, and stone chip coatings. Proper use will ensure that you don't need to re-shoot, buff, or sand the surface.
Using the smooth transition tape accelerates cycle times, improves productivity, and enhances quality. The center ridge on the tape is the only part that has adhesive. The edges are free of adhesive, and they let the coatings feather naturally under the tape. This leaves behind a smooth transition to the existing finish. It is ideal to use at least two strips to smooth multiple coatings.
How to Apply the Smooth Transition Tape
- Apply the first strip, aligning the outside body line of the jamb with the outer tape edge.
- Take the tape onto the adjacent masking.
- Use a second strip of tape overlapping the inner edge of the first one.
- Ensure you put extra material at the back of the strips to avoid spoiling due to paint overspray.
- Apply inner coatings and after they dry, grip the tab and take out the outer strip of the tape.
- Go ahead with the application of the remaining coatings. Have the last strip stay in place till the baking process is over.
- Roll Length: 30 ft
- Width: 1/4"