- Four step process that restores the clarity of yellowed, hazed, or dull headlight lenses.
- Kit contains sanding discs and polishing pad with compound.
- For use with a drill.
- 1 - Disc Pad Holder
- 1 - 3M Soft Interface Pad
- 6 - 3M Sanding Discs
- 4 - 3M Finishing Discs
- 1 - 3M Trizact Disc
- 1 - 3M Headlight Lens Polish, 1 oz
- 1 - Buffing Pad
- Step by step directions
The 3M Headlight Lens Restoration System is designed to restore clarity to headlight lenses that have become yellowed, cloudy, or hazed over time. By restoring clarity to the lens you improve the performance of the headlight and enhance the appearance of the vehicle. Headlight lenses have either a hard surface layer or a UV resistant coating on the outer surface of the lens. Once a lens has been degraded by sun or UV light and becomes yellowed or cloudy, it is necessary to remove that yellowed layer in order to restore clarity to the lens. The effort required to refurbish headlight lenses will vary greatly by vehicle manufacturer, year, make, model, and headlight design. Large or extremely hazed lenses may require more than one kit.
With the 3M Headlight Lens Restoration System, you will use a 1200-1600 rpm drill equipped with a backup pad and sanding discs to remove the yellowed layer from the headlight lens surface. A higher rpm drill could generate excessive heat and can cause damage to the headlight lens that is difficult to remove. A lower rpm drill does not work efficiently for this process. Two sanding steps will follow to refine or reduce the sand scratches that are made when removing the yellowed layer. Finally, 3M Headlight Lens Polish and a foam pad will remove the fine scratches and put the final clarity on the headlight lens.
Consider the condition of your headlight lenses:
- If lenses are 3-5 years old and do not have any yellowing or do not appear cloudy, do not proceed with the 3M Headlight Lens Restoration System.
- This process will not repair moisture, damage, or defects on the inside of the headlight lens.
- If lenses are yellowed and/or cloudy due to age and weathering, proceed with this process.
- Larger or extremely hazed lenses may require more than one kit.