Whether you want to restore paint on your jalopy or use a totally different color, sanding is one of the primary steps you will have to go through. Your auto body workshop needs the 3M Softback Sanding Sponges that allow you to access hard-to-reach areas that are usually difficult for machine sanders.
Why is sanding necessary?
Before you start painting a vehicle, it is vital to sand the old paint away. Sanding also helps you smooth out cracks, imperfections, and dings. A well-sanded car allows paint to settle evenly and smoothly while an improperly sanded car may display sanding problems after repainting.
Why are the 3M Softback Sanding Sponges special?
These sanding sponges are innovative coated abrasives that are good for hand sanding applications. These sponges are best used to reach inaccessible areas that are otherwise impossible to reach by machine sanders. You can easily sand areas such as headlight openings, door handles, door jambs etc. with these sanding sponges.
The foam pad has a waterproof bonding system and features the mineral aluminum oxide on it. The foam construction of these sponges eliminates finger marks and are best used dry or wet. The sanding sponges are also useful in the marine industry, on wood, fiberglass, paints, plastics and metals.
- Medium = 120-180 Grade
- Fine = 320-400 Grade
- Super Fine = 500-600 Grade, Used for final sanding of primer
- Ultra Fine = 800-1000 Grade, Used for sanding blend areas
- Micro Fine = 1200-1500 Grade, Used for topcoat sanding
Key Features of the 3M Softback Sanding Sponges
- The foam sheets are abrasive and extremely flexible
- Helps you sand hard to reach areas such as headlight openings, door jambs and the area around door handles
- 4-1/2" x 5-1/2" sheets-gray in color with a sponge backing
- Can be used wet or dry
- Contains 20 sponges per box